Saturday, August 18, 2007

Jazz and Honey

I've been preparing for tomorrow night - Pastor is out of town, and I'm speaking.

In my preparation, I finally got around to reading Blue Like Jazz, by Donald Miller. We heard him speak at the Willow Arts Conference in June, and I've wanted to read his book ever since.

Great book. I can't agree with him on everything, but part of what I got from the book was that we let those less-important things get in the way of true relationship.

So, while I may have different views on politics, social issues, and the importance of certain standards, he was very thought-provoking and made me reassess the priorities I give to certain things.

One of my favorite parts was his story of the confession booth he helped create on a college campus. I won't spoil the story by telling it here, but I thought it was a great idea, and I hope others do it, too.

Even though I enjoyed the book, I don't think I'm specifically using anything from it for tomorrow night. I think I'm only borrowing his attitude.

No comments: