Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Girls Night Out


Several factors were at work tonight.

- Sam and Shae are currently at Student Leadership 101 in Orlando.
- Big Bunco night at my house tonight for Trudi and her gang.
- A few weeks ago, we went to Pirates 3 and there was no sound for the first few minutes, so the theater gave everyone a free pass to another show.
- Summer and Sawyer (also known as Daisy and Petal) and I were homeless, looking for something to do.

Which is how we ended up at Evan Almighty.

I've heard this was an outreach film. In fact, at the Willow Conference there was Evan merchandise and "outreach" materials.

Yes, a pretty good version of God was in this, and thankfully, it wasn't Steve Carrell. Despite the title, Morgan Freeman didn't grant any supernatural powers to Evan. Morgan Freeman played it well and it was written well. My only objection was a reference to God being "in all things" - a very Buddhist view of things.

But I don't see the real outreach potential of this, unless you're evangelizing for the Sierra Club. Of course, when you start by equating the Creator to the Creation, I guess outreach becomes what you make it.

There were other good messages about "families sticking together" and Morgan-as-God's assertion that "whatever I do, it's because I love you."

Apart from those good nuggets and some funny bits that made me laugh out loud, the movie was only so-so for me. It didn't make me hate it or love it. But it is safe and enjoyable for the whole family, so I would recommend it. Especially if you have free passes.

No comments: