Friday, May 18, 2007

Departures and Arrivals

Blogs are for deep thoughts, right? (Well, that, and stupid YouTube videos.)

Can't avoid thinking of departures and arrivals at the moment. I'm writing this while waiting for my flight to Greensboro by way of Charlotte. Headed to this weekend's Southeast Region Teen Bible Quiz Finals as part of my Pen. Florida District Coordinator duties. (For more on all that, listen to my podcast.)

It's an old adage and true - every departure means an arrival...and vice-versa. You can't get where you're going until you leave where you've been. And - if people like you - the arrivals are happier than the departures.

My friend, Bob, is lying in a hospital room right now. They're not sure what caused it, but he experienced renal and kidney failure, and pancreatis. His liver doesn't seem to be working. Doctors haven't given him much chance of making it.

Right now , we don't know if Bob will be making his departure soon, or not. I hope not. I can't imagine that God is done with what He wants him to do in this life.

But I don't have God all figured out. I hope I never think I do. God is more complex than that. He's bigger - big enough to not figure out. But He loves us, and does all of those complex things in order to simply love us and do what is best for us.

I hope that means that Bob's departure is later rather than sooner, and that I'll see him next week.

But if I don't, I know I'll see him soon.

No comments: